Following the Revolutionary War, what is now Bartow was known as Wood’s Fort. It was named for a log fortification built by Solomon Wood against attacks from The Creek Nation. The land on which Wood settled was partial payment for his services as Commander of all Georgia troops who fought in the Revolutionary War. The fort featured a bell, which was used to signal danger. One little girl, who didn’t make it to the safety of the fort in time, was scalped — but lived to see her wedding day.
After the General’s death in 1815, three of his sons (colorfully named White, Red, and Green) sold his 2,052½ acres to James Speir. In 1840, Speir gave the Central of Georgia Railroad right of way through his land for the rails connecting Atlanta and Savannah. Stop Number 11 was dubbed Speir’s Turnout because it was one of the few places where one train could turn out to a siding to unload, allowing other trains to pass.